Crazy Tasty

I was trying to figure out a snappy title and then spotted "Crazy Tasty" on the Spam can..lol. I was truly inspired when I saw Jenn's FABulous altered spam can on Kiyomi Krafts. I asked my Mom to save her cans for me {I never buy the stuff but eat the stuff when my mom makes Spam Musubi}. I realize that there is a HUGE population that feels nauseous at the thought of Spam but maybe it's because I'm Asian? I know it's huge in Hawaii {back me up my Asian peeps, either living in Hawaii or living on the mainland}. Anywho's, this isn't about Spam but the container..lol.

This is truly an inspired project for me...the paper rosette is ala Angie over at schwooo! I have to say that Stampin' Up cardstock makes the construction of the rosette a little challenging...next time I'll use thinner DP. You can't seem to see them, but on the Amy Butler DP that I used to wrap around the can, there are tiny pomegranate colored flowers...that's why I used my Stampin' Up Purely Pomegranate stitched grosgrain.

How can anyone resist my new Hero Arts Japanese Dolls? I was actually fussing with the cards forever...really. I was trying to do something like
Lisa Spangler's card on the Hero Arts Blog. I had to come to terms with the fact that her card is much larger than the 3x3 cards I was working with. It just wasn't going to happen. So I opted for clean & simple. I used Amy Butler solid celery textured paper and inked up my Stampin' Up Bamboo II with my Memento Pear Tart ink. The ribbon is ala May Arts....super clean & crisp!

I stamped the dolls with Memento Tuxedo black and then followed up the solid black areas with my black Copic marker. Their faces are colored in with Baby Skin Pink{e21} and their cheeks are Light Pink {rv21}.


My Mom gave me 2 cans on Christmas AND said that she wanted one back, decorated...I see how that woman works..lol. I'll be giving this to her on New Year's Day...oshogatsu...a day that we celebrate with tons of yummish Japanese food.

Comments

Janine said…
Well you sure can make a SPAM can look gorgeous!!!
Julia Aston said…
How fun Amy! I have some Calcium Chew containers that look very similar in size and shape - they've been sitting in a pile waiting for an idea to happen to them!! LOL - I DO love your little Asian girl stamps - very cute project!
Ann said…
Well, thank goodness this was about the can and not the SPAM itself! :D

This turned out so cute, and the cards are totally adorable!
Lauren said…
Beautiful cards and Spam tin Amy! I just love them. The images and papers are fabulous. I hope you had a great holiday.
Susan said…
ADORABLE project, but I can't bear the thought of anymore spam...too much as a little peep!!! But your can is adorable...isn't there anything else that comes in those cans?????

Love you Asian dolls the bamboo bg is fab
Lisa Brown said…
Amy...these are precious! Love those little dolls!
Carla said…
The can is adorable! We used to eat spam fried over the campfire when we were camping during my childhood! I loved the stuff, but probably haven't had any in 25 years. The cards are gorgeous, your new stamps are just so pretty!!
Way to recycle and be "green" and you did it so beautifully!! I can thinkof so many uses for the little can.
Anonymous said…
sigh amy! First of all way to recycle that spam can looks amazing! My brother usually cooks spam when we can't find anything to eat LOL! I love those dolls ;)
Julie said…
AMY! This is so AWESOME!! I absolutely LOVE those little Asian dolls! And my DH loves SPAM. It's not too bad, but I watched a special on TV once about how in Hawaii you can get Spam with your McDonald's breakfast! They must REALLY love Spam there! Plus it's made in Austin, MN! :)
Carolina said…
Gorgeous Amy!!! This stamp is just precious and the color combo you used is just precious!
Sparkplug17 said…
These are adorable...and I'll back you up on the Spam thing. My mom was born and raised on the Big Island...so I understand the Spam love, lol. :)
Michelle said…
HOW CUTE!!! Inspired yet again.. being a Hawaii girl and asian I can totally back you up on the spam thing. My kids are crazy about it. Before people go nuts about how it can make them fat they are thin as rails and can eat that stuff can after can. They're fave is Spam Musubi or in Saimin. Happy New Year Amy!!!

Michelle
SeattleStamper said…
No way would I ever have thought you could make a spam can look so good, but you pulled it off girl! Yes, you are correct about Hawaii. They even have spam at McDonalds in Hawaii.
Unknown said…
What a great project Amy! Those stamps are just adorable!! :)
Anonymous said…
Oh my, I may need to get me some of those new HA stamps!! So cute! :oD
Rose Ann said…
All of your cards are so very cute, Amy, and I LOVE your altered can!! Super job with them all!!
Anonymous said…
I think "crazy tasty" must be the best blog post title I've ever heard! *laugh*

I've been playing with these same stamps this week. They're so cute! And I love all your cards (and the Spam tin)!
lauren bergold said…
to answer your question: *NOBODY* could resist these adorable dolls...OR...the cards you have made with them! and that spam can is FABBBBBBBULOUS!!! (ok...now THERE is a sentence i never imagined myself typing!) YOWZA! :)
Savitri said…
Your Spam is too cute :) Love love love it!!! So, does it smell like spam after washing?

I like Spam. I use to like it more before I became more of a health freak. But, even now, I like to eat a bit of Spam here and there. I mean I can eat gizzards, cow tongue, intestines, tripes, grasshoppers, etc. Spam is very tolerable in terms of taste and gross level :)
Angie Tieman said…
Wow! Awesome card and can! That Amy Butler paper is perfect! You're cracking me up with the Spam talk too! I grew up on Spam (a working mother raised us, ya know!), but I haven't had any since leaving home after high school graduation. My Mom's Spam specialty: sliced, dipped in cornmeal and pan fried!
OMGosh! Did someone say SPAM? I LOVE Spam! Being of Asian heritage (Filipina), I grew eating Spam with rice - yum! Yes, it is a big staple in Hawaii and loved it when DH and I went for our honeymoon - I was in heaven! I sneak Spam sometimes in the food I make like fried rice and the family doesn't seem to mind to eat in little pieces. But, anyway, thanks for the great idea...now I know what to do with all of my cans! Thanks for sharing...

- Alma =)
Anonymous said…
Amy, these are so adorable! I'm not Asian or a Spam lover but I grew up in the Spam capital of the world- Austin, MN where it is made. The funny thing is, if you are from Austin, you usually don't eat Spam! lol!
Eve said…
Hello AMY,

I've spent my whole evening browsing thru your beautiful blog. You are really creative and you make pretty creations! Really love these cute Japanese dolls. =) keep up the good work, Amy!
Looking forward to see more beautiful creations from you. =)

Regards,
Evelyn from Malaysia.